Sunday, October 26, 2008

Afghanistan, More Than a Distant Battle

I have been blessed greatly in my life. But no greater blessings do I have than my children. A father wants his children to grow up healthy and bright. He wants the best for them. As for me, I couldn't be more proud and happy. I have my eldest, Meleah, who grew up being the little mother, the responsible one, doing more than her part taking care of he younger brother Bobby as well as herself. She has grown up to be a wonderful mother and wife, but I think most importantly, a good hearted, hard working, beautiful person. How can you not be proud of a girl with such and heart of gold! Love her to death I do. One of the happiest moments was when I learned she was moving with her family to come here, where I live! Now I have her close , where I get to see her, talk with her, and share in her life with her husband and two of our ten grandchildren.....Kyle and Felicia.

But there is a worry, a hole, that fills our family's soul. My son Bobby enlisted in the Army in 2002. What a patriot he is! He told me he wanted to enlist. I gave him every reason to stay out and go to college. His Grandfather took him on a graduation trip and tried hard to talk him into not enlisting but go to college. But in the end.....when Bobby says he is enlisting cause he knows the price of freedom and that he owes it to those that have gone before....those that have fought and died for his freedom....he owes his time, his efforts to serve this country in a way many have before. Heck, you can not argue with him about those beliefs. For they are true and his desire to serve admirable and a demonstration of the heart he has....like his sister.....that make them so special in my eyes.

So my son becomes a mechanic on Chinook helicopters. He serves overseas in Korea (just like his mom and dad) and serves in combat in Iraq, and now is in Afghanistan, fighting a most difficult fight, and one that he is up to his armpits in death and destruction.

Bobby is the flight engineer on his Chinook. He has had many awards and honors since he has enlisted. He received special recognition during his graduation from Basic Training. He was chosen to go to flight status from ground mechanic over many others who wanted that chance. He flew in Iraq in his Chinook as Crew Chief.....receiving an Air Medal and his Combat Badge for being under enemy fire. Bobby has also been nominated for the US Army Aviation Soldier of the Year! Now how special is that?

And now, for the last many months....to hopefully come home by New Years...Bobby is fighting in Afghanistan. He is with the 101st Airborne Division. He is the Flight Engineer on his Chinook. And needless to say we worry for him and all our troops for this has been the bloodiest and costliest year for our troops in Afganistan. Bobby is putting his life on the line...almost daily as he flies in Eastern Afghanistan up along the Pakistan border. There has been bloody fighting and with great loss of life. Bobby has been there, doing his part. He has recieved the Air Medal with Valor for his and his crews heroic acts in pulling dead and dying out of a fire fight. They came in, under fire, warned that they would be shot at and probably shot down...but they came in because those on the ground were in dire need. And we are so proud of him and those that do these heroic deeds as well as all of those that have put themselves in harms way. My heart aches for the lost loved ones. And there is a hole that can only be filled by Bobby's return. And I wait anxiously for that day. It comes nearer and nearer. But we know for Bobby it is still too far away....he can't think that far out...he just has to get through each mission, one at a time.



How is it you can have a heart so overjoyed and filled with pride and love yet so empty feeling at the same time. I can promise you this...there never was, nor will there ever be, a father and family that will have more joy and pride in there hearts the day Bobby arrives back in the States. Bobby I love you, miss you........We all love and miss you..........and we thank you for your service...you have done what you wanted to do.....serve this great nation.



And now you can stand in the ranks of those that have given so much before....stand there knowing you have given what you promised.....your service.

1 comment:

Pasquale J. Algiere said...

Very moving, Wayne, and I'm proud to be included in their lives. Without question, Bobby has achieved his goal and honored those that have gone before him in ways that are humbling. Now it's time for this one to come home... Joe